The Victoria Sandwich is one of, if not the most popular, cakes to bake and eat in England.
Composed of a vanilla sponge cake, a jam topping and a light coating of sugar on top, it’s the perfect accompaniment for an afternoon cup of tea.
To make it even more indulgent, the humble classic is often accompanied by a layer of sweet and creamy buttercream.
READ MORE: For many more delicious culinary inspirations, visit our recipe page.
If you’re reading this and now crave a homemade Vicky Sponge Slice, this recipe is for you because you can have it up in no time.
Instagram baker @cakeontherun shared their two-minute mugcake recipe that will instantly satisfy your cake fix. Watch how to do it in the video above or follow the simple instructions below.
If you’re obsessed with The Great British Bake Off and all things baking, you’re in luck like us too!
Our Bake On Bake Off newsletter is full of gossip and reactions from the famous TV show.
Plus, it’s packed with super quick and easy recipes that anyone can try out at home.
You don’t need any fancy ingredients or equipment, and some pastries can be microwaved in under a minute.
Most of the recipes are healthy, vegan, and gluten free.
It’s free and you’ll receive an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
Registration takes a few seconds – just tap here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Have you changed your mind? There is an “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
* Fast * Easy * Cheap * Suitable for children * Recipe * Gluten-free option * Dairy-free option * 287kcal per serving
Victoria sandwich recipe (for 2 people)
- 40g self-rising flour
- 40g of margarine
- 40g caster sugar + extra for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- A drop of vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of jam
- Take a large mug and put all the ingredients except the flour in it. Give it a good mix until it is creamy.
- Then add the flour and mix again until smooth and creamy – very important step.
- Microwave it on full power for two minutes.
- Take it out and use a sharp knife to remove the cake from the cup.
- Turn it out onto a plate then cut it in half using a sharp knife.
- Fill it with jam, put the top half back in place and sprinkle with sugar.
Make it vegan – use non-dairy margarine.
Do it gluten free – use gluten-free flour.
Both ingredients are available in most UK supermarkets and online.
Download the SurreyLive app for a better reading experience and to get news from the areas that interest you most. Download it via the App Store for iOS or Google Play for Android.